The cold winter can be harsh on our skin. Dry skin and eczema are two of the most common conditions I see this time of the year. I want to share some easy and simple gentle skin care tips that everyone can use.
- Daily bathing is recommended. Baths are better than showers as soaking can help hydrate the skin.
- Avoid super hot water. Although it feels good with the cold weather, hot water can dry out the skin.
- Use soap sparingly. Believe it or not, we only really need soap to wash the armpits and groin, or other areas that are visibly dirty.
- Use gentle soap products such as Dove Bar soap for sensitive skin. Vanicream, CervaVe, and Cetaphil are also great brands for sensitive skin.
- Do not vigorously scrub the skin during cleansing.
- After bathing, pat your skin lightly with a towel. Do not rub or scrub when drying.
- Always apply a moisturizer immediately to entire body after bathing. This helps to “lock in” the moisture. Moisturizer can even be applied twice daily if necessary.
- Moisturizers containing ceramides are better. Ceramides are natural lipids that our skin needs to stay healthy. I recommend:
- Adding in a humidifier at night can be soothing.
- Avoid products such as powders, perfumes, or colognes on your skin; these can cause further irritation in sensitive skin.
- Avoid saunas and steam baths. The temperature is too hot.
- Use unscented hypo-allergenic laundry products.
- Avoid tight or “scratchy” clothing such as wool, as they can cause irritation and itching.
Some products that I routinely use: